Translate

Thursday, January 9, 2014

In Search of a Field of Wildflowers

http://www.freenaturepictures.com/wildflowers-pictures.php



Enough of this planting of annual flowers!  You know the drill.  Buy them, stick in the ground, admire, deadhead, pull up after the first frost in fall, start over again after the final frost in spring. Pretty, but not true gardening, I decided one gray January day as I eagerly anticipated the arrival of yet another planting season.


Wildflowers!  That’s what we need around the swimming pool!  Plant the seeds, let the flowers become naturalized, neglect them, enjoy them every year thereafter.  Now that sounds like my kind of gardening.  Yet, my previous experiences with trying to start plants from seed had not been memorable.  The tiny seeds just disappeared into the ground, never to be seen or heard from again.


I decided to go native for this project, following the precepts of the El Paso Native Plant Society (http://www.npsnm.org/about/chapters/el-paso-texas/).  The lady who answered the phone at the recommended nursery said that yes, she sold native wildflower seeds, but only in small seed packages.  Why didn’t I order seeds by the pound on the Internet?  I had visions of the UPS man delivering a tow sack full of seeds to my front door within days.

Here is the website I went to:


Buyer Beware!  Seductive website.! http://www.plantsofthesouthwest.com



Gorgeous color photos of native plants, all in bloom, naturally.  Should I start with a pound of wildflower seeds or two?  After checking the price list, I settled on a modest one ounce package of seeds for $8.00, plus shipping.  The seeds arrived in a few days in a very small envelope by U.S. mail.  The names of the promised plants were intriguing.  There were  Pink Wild Snapdragon, Succulent Lupine, Owls Clover, Birdcage Primrose and ten others. 



Meanwhile, I noticed that the neighborhood grocery store had set up a display of wildflower seeds to attract customers like me who were itching for springtime.  I picked up a box of seeds out of curiosity, feeling superior because I had already bought mine online.  Two ounces for $1.00!  I had just spent 16 times that amount on my web-ordered seeds!  But then I noticed that the box contained only 12% flower seed mixture.  And the names of the plants were less exotic – Coreposis tinctoria mix, Chrysanthemum Shasta Daisy, Calendula officianalis, and fourteen others.  I bought the seeds anyway.



The big decision now was whether to mix or separate the seeds?  Should I plant the over-priced native wildflower seeds in one area and the Brand X seeds in another and let them compete?  Or should I mix them up and never treat them as if some were, well, special.  



Now I'm looking forward to the arrival of Daylight Savings Time.    I can use that extra hour in the evenings to baby the new wildflowers.  My husband will devote several hours to hoeing the flower beds, preparing them for planting, and doing serious repair work on the automatic watering system.  I'll work for about ten minutes and scatter the seeds, pressing them lightly into the ground with my foot.  Now that’s my idea of gardening!



http://www.freenaturepictures.com/wildflowers-pictures.php

  

No comments:

Post a Comment