Translate

Friday, March 6, 2015

Southwestern Early Springtime - Ahh!

Freezing temperatures.  Snow piling up on roadways.  Vehicles careening off freeways. I watched TV reports of winter weather punishing other regions of Texas this morning. And I gave thanks to my lucky stars that I live in the Desert Southwest, where Mother Nature is kinder.

Winter weather in other parts of the state
I must admit it was a bit chilly at my home in El Paso, Texas this morning at 42 degrees, but I threw on a jacket and walked outside to catch any signs of an early springtime.

I found this brave dwarf nectarine tree in the garden, all decked out in pink blooms as if it were going to an afternoon tea party.

Nectarine tree

The pyracantha bush in the back yard was putting on a display of red berries, anxious to show its beauty before the hot summer weather arrives.

Pyracantha bush

A large rosemary bush in front of the house was a blaze of blue blossoms.  I like to pinch off a sprig or two as I walk by for a whiff of aromatherapy.

Rosemary bush in bloom

A cherry sage near the front door was living up to its name by producing cherry red blossoms in abundance.  Such a hardy plant.  I must use it more in the landscape.

Cherry sage

And finally, in the front of the house, on street level where plants are pretty much on their own,  I found this cheerful cassia.  We had planted it last fall in hopes of finding a colorful yet hardy plant that would survive the blazing afternoon sun.  As I bent over to take a picture, the cassia rewarded me with a sweet aroma.

Cassia
I'm looking forward to Daylight Savings Time starting this weekend and to warmer days.  Spring may not arrive officially for 15 more days, but these hardy plants give me hope that spring is definitely on its way.


No comments:

Post a Comment