Translate

Friday, December 4, 2015

A premier climbing destination ( and more) in my own backyard

Rock climbing, bouldering, hiking, and picnicking- who would have thought we could find all of that in our own backyard? Well, not exactly right behind our house, but only thirty miles east of my home town of El Paso, Texas.  I'm talking about Hueco Tanks State Park and Historic Site (http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/hueco-tanks).

A visit from out-of-towners over Thanksgiving holidays pushed my husband Wayne and me out of our comfort zone for an outing to an area that I had been aware of all of my life but had seldom visited.  I thought Hueco Tanks was dusty, barren, dangerous, and devoid of human comforts. I was embarrassingly misinformed.  This rock formation at the entrance to the park sets the stage for a setting of unusual beauty.

A hint of things to come

First and foremost, the rock formations challenge rock climbers and boulderers.





The park offers opportunities for roped free climbing with a guide in certain areas   The more popular type of climbing is bouldering, which is strenuous climbing over rocks, using only holds that naturally occur on the rocks.  Hueco Tanks State Park has a worldwide reputation for excellent bouldering, both because of the innumerable possibilities that exist for climbs and the lure of  temperate winter weather. Reservations at the park are a must November through March.

The younger and fitter members of our group spent the day bouldering.  Wayne and I opted for a less strenuous day, hiking on easy paths to view rock art left by ancient peoples and locating spots for future picnics.

.

I enjoyed viewing the many huecos, indentations in rocks that hold rain water and give this unique park its name.



I was also impressed by a stop at the restored Escontrias Ranch House, now an interpretive center, where viewing of a short video is required,  reminding visitors to respect the land.



Spending the day communing with nature at the end of November?  How cool is that?  And I can't fail to mention the wonderfully clean and heated restrooms provided throughout the park.  I do like my creature comforts!

No comments:

Post a Comment