Translate

Friday, December 19, 2014

A brief respite from the holiday rush

I was going a hundred miles an hour at home yesterday, cleaning, decorating, making long shopping lists, and generally being frantic, when my husband Wayne suggested a lunch "down the valley." There is an older part of town south of where we live, called the Lower Valley, that still retains a flavor of the past, with many small businesses, cotton fields, and several missions.

One of our favorite restaurants is El Mesón de Oñate on Socorro Road.



Outside view of El Mesón de Oñate 

The dining room was not crowded like many mall restaurants are this time of year.  Ah, the calm!


Interior of restaurant


We relaxed and dived into the complimentary basket of tostadas with red and green chile sauce. Yum.   Potato chips I can resist, tostadas I cannot.


Tostadas, red chile sauce, green chile sauce

Wayne's favorite dish here is a taco salad, served in a large fried corn tortilla shell.  I generally order the caldo de res, which is a special type of beef stew with carrots, cabbage. corn on the cob and zucchini squash, It is served with a slice of lime, Mexican-style rice, and warm corn tortillas. I put the meat over on Wayne's plate and then enjoy an (almost) vegetarian meal.


Caldo de res

Caldo de res  is a staple of Mexican restaurants in our area and is generally served for lunch. Several times I have arrived at a restaurant on a chilly day for a late lunch of caldo, only to be told "Ya no hay."  (It's all gone).

We were unfortunately too full to order a traditional dessert of flan, a special type of custard with caramel sauce. 

As we left the restaurant, I could see the Socorro Mission in the distance, reminding me of the long history and special character of this area.



Socorro Mission in the distance

Lunch at El Mesón de Oñate was a brief but welcome respite to the hustle and bustle of the season.  Bring on those holiday tasks. I'm ready now! 


No comments:

Post a Comment