Translate

Friday, January 2, 2015

A hike in December? Why not?



Thank you, Southwest climate, for allowing our family to hike in the Franklin Mountains State Park this past December.  When I was young, I wanted the Christmas holiday season to be snowman-making weather, just like the images on traditional Christmas cards.  But alas, most December days in El Paso Texas through the years dawned bright and sunny.  Now I can finally appreciate what a mild climate can add to the festive season.

It was Sunday, December 27th, when we piled into the car for the thirty minute drive to Franklin Mountains State Park.  This park has the distinction of being the largest urban park in the United States lying completely within city limits.  Its elevation is 5426 ft.    I must admit it was a chilly 30 degrees when we pulled into the ranger station,  but there was minimal wind and lots of sunshine. And besides, we had dug into our closets for boots, wool socks, parkas, and warm gloves.

Several less adventurous members of the family decided to chose the easier Nature Walk Trail, 


Bilingual trail marker for Nature Walk
As we walked along the trail, we would occasionally catch glimpses of the more daring (and need I mention fitter) members of the party who were hiking on a higher trail across the mountains.

Cresote bushes provided a green background for the more dormant plants we found on the Nature Walk Trail.


Creosote bush with mountains in background
As we ambled along the well-marked trail, one cheerful desert plant with lavender blossoms kept catching my eye.

I wish I had this plant in my home garden for winter color.

Some of the other plants looked like they needed an overcoat for protection during this frigid season.


Cold, but still festive


Even dried dormant plants provided interesting shapes and textures to examine.


Note rainbow cactus in foreground!

However, one plant I examined from a careful safe distance.

Intimidating!


Finally,  here is my favorite picture of the Franklin Mountain State Park.  I wish I could describe to you the feeling of quiet and calm that hiking in the park provides.

Native plants, sunshine, and the ever present mountains


Many thanks to my husband, Wayne Calk, for taking these great pictures.  I didn't even have to remove my warm gloves to push any buttons.

I hope we can make a Franklin Mountains Hike a new family holiday tradition.


No comments:

Post a Comment