Translate

Friday, January 16, 2015

How's your weather today?

Peeking outside early this January morning, I was greeted by an unusual weather event in the Southwest - dense fog!  The mountains that usually form a backdrop to my hometown of El Paso, Texas were completely obscured.




The Tuscan-style house across the street looked like it could be the setting for a Gothic novel.




I started thinking about how weather often affects my outlook for the day.  This morning's fog put me in a dreamy state.  I felt like having an extra cup of coffee in front of the fireplace and drifting away with pleasant thoughts. 

Because weather in the Southwest is a bit unpredictable (just ask the beleaguered local weathermen), planning activities and even one's mood is a tricky business.

A friend of mine in Quebec, Canada contacted us recently when she heard that snow was predicted around Christmas.  She couldn't believe that El Paso could be so blazing hot in the summertime and still have snow flurries in the winter.  And she would have been really surprised to see this sunny day in the Franklin Mountains State Park two days after Christmas.





Sunshiny days energize me. Fortunately the sun shines approximately 302 days each year in El Paso (nicknamed The Sun City).  The outdoors beckon. I want to walk around the yard and plan clean-up projects and new plantings (emphasis on plan here!)   One pleasant day last December, my husband Wayne snapped this picture in our courtyard .A pecan tree had deposited the last of its leaves on the bricks, but one brave rose was still making a show.





I don't even want to think about the spring windy season to come!  Howling winds and blowing dust make me want to crawl back under the covers.  Spring weather in my home town puts me into a long crabby mood.

But for the present time, I'm looking forward to experiencing whatever kind of weather Mother Nature has cooked us for us these next two winter months.  Here is what the Farmers' Almanac predicts:



No comments:

Post a Comment