Translate

Thursday, March 23, 2017

What's so special about a southwestern springtime?

Ahh, springtime in the Southwest is like no other springtime I know of. One day winter is still with us, with heavy comforters on the bed, thermostats set to 70 degrees, and long sleeved shirts. The next day we wake up to 80 degree temps, brilliant sunshine, and a blue cloudless sky. And the calendar tells me it is mid-March. I find myself rummaging through the closet for something appropriate to wear. My warm weather clothes look pretty tired after last year's long summer.

I throw open the doors and venture out to see if Mother Nature thinks it is springtime.  She has been kinder than I feared after a freak hailstorm last October.


Creosote Bush

A gangly creosote bush in the front yard is covered with small, fragrant yellow blossoms.  As a bonus, the nearby area has a crop of volunteer creosotes. I counted over thirty of various sizes. What a satisfied feeling to know I won't have to buy a creosote bush in the nursery, priced at $30.00.  As a matter of fact, my husband, Wayne, is threatening to chop down some of the smaller creosotes because Mother Nature provided us with so many.


Fairy Duster



The Fairy Duster, located in a neglected part of the yard, is covered with pink blooms that look like, you guessed it, tiny dusters that Tinker Bell might use.  This plant is so generous, requiring virtually no care.


Desert Marigold

And before leaving the topic of easy to care for native plants, this Desert Marigold appeared voluntarily in a part of the yard we dubbed the Tucson Yard.  This plant requires very low water usage. I suspect if I watered it like other plants, it would not survive.  It's always a joy to see where it is going to pop up each year. The Desert Marigold has a mind of its own and does not like to be disturbed.


Sunset Heights Garden


I was pleased to see native plants emerging in an area we nicknamed "Sunset Heights," after an historic neighborhood in El Paso where you can also view the western setting sun.  The pumpkins are real, but they didn't grow there.  I hated to toss them out after last November, and they did provide some color through the dull winter months.


Climbing Rose Bush


Blooming climbing roses are one of the harbingers of springtime.  This plant grows in a bed surrounding the swimming pool, and often presents us with blooms throughout the year.



Potting bench in backyard

Springtime means lots of empty pots are available for new plantings.  The former residents of the pots didn't make it through the hailstorm or winter weather. Fortunately I don't remember which plants they were, so I don't have to mourn their loss too deeply.

Springtime weather means living al fresco.  A new seating area in the vegetable garden under the pear tree provides a place to admire the tomatoes, jalapeños, pattypan squash, tomatillo, oregano, and sage that we planted this year, with fingers crossed for an abundant harvest.


Seating area in garden


I'm thoroughly enjoying each day of our southwestern early springtime.  Until the spring winds arrive.  But that is a story for another day.


No comments:

Post a Comment