Translate

Thursday, April 6, 2017

You know you are a Southwesterner if ...

Is the Southwest lifestyle unique?  Does it differ from other U.S. lifestyles?  Here is my take on those important questions.

You know you are a Southwesterner if ...

You start looking for the first spring blooms right after Valentine's Day each year.


Cactus bloom

Mexican Bird of Paradise


Wildflower



You put a little bit of chile on almost everything you eat.



Perhaps I should begin with the explanation that the southwestern spelling of the name of those hot peppers is  "chiles."  My word processor inevitably marks it as a spelling error. The concept of chile encompasses many varieties of peppers, some fresh, some dried, some whole, some powdered. At a basic level, we have red peppers and green peppers.  In New Mexico, my neighboring state, if you want both red and green sauce on your enchiladas, you ask for "Christmas."  

Both colors of peppers come in various degrees of  "bite," hot, medium and mild, although one man's medium may be another man's hot. I have learned this fact through painful personal experience.  Many times in my life I have had occasion to croak the Spanish phrase, "Me enchilé," which translates to something like "I just ate too much hot chile."

A small amount of chile can perk up almost any type of food —scrambled eggs, tuna salad, turkey sandwiches, corn on the cob, pozole, even chocolate bars. Eventually, Southwesterners find themselves saying, "This dish tastes great, but maybe it could use a little chile?" 


You don't own many winter clothes.



When my husband, Wayne, and I were preparing for a train trip across Canada in January of this year, I came to the realization that I was probably going to freeze to death if I didn't buy winter clothing to pack for the trip.  A person can survive in the Southwest with only a light coat, used only for a few weeks of the year.

I now have a closet full of down jackets, sweaters, boots, scarves, hats, gloves, and fleece-lined tights that will probably languish there until our next trip to another part of the country or the world. And I recently bought another light down jacket from a Canadian retailer just to be safe.  


You relish a multicultural atmosphere.



If you are a native Southwestern, you may identify yourself with any number of ethnic groups. Each culture adds uniqueness to Southwest culture.  You may wear stunning turquoise jewelry made by Native American artisans.  You may celebrate Christmas with a nacimiento  (nativity scene) as well as a Christmas tree.  Or you may mark special occasions with a chuck wagon barbecue dinner. And I'm only mentioning the cultures that I have first hand experience with. Why choose just one culture when you can enjoy the best of all cultures?

Are you a bona fide Southwesterner?  

No comments:

Post a Comment